Information We Collect
Information You Provide To Us
We collect information about you when you provide that information to us. Examples of such information collection include, but not limited to when you sign up to receive email or SMS text updates from FBT or when you contact us via the Website. The kinds of information we may collect include your first and last name, your mailing address, your phone number, your email address, and any other information you choose to provide to us in connection with your use of the Website. Sometimes you provide the information to a trusted third party vendor on our behalf instead of directly to us, but that vendor uses your information only for the purpose for which it was provided.
Information that Is Passively or Automatically Collected
When you visit the Website, we may automatically receive and record information from your computer or mobile device. This information allows us to understand how people are navigating and using our Website, and how we can improve your experience based on the information we collect. The types of information we may collect include your IP address, browser type, browser language, operating system, state or country from which you accessed the Website, software and hardware attributes, referring and exit pages and URLs, platform type, the number of clicks, files you download, pages viewed, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time you used the Website, error logs and other similar information. From your IP address, we may be able to infer your general location (e.g., city and state or postal code).
We may use third-party analytics providers and technologies, such as web server logs, cookies and tracking pixels, to help us collect the data described above. We use the term “cookie” in the broad sense to include all similar techniques and technologies. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer or device when you visit a website that stores certain information about your website usage. For example, cookies enable us to recognize your computer; store your preferences and settings; enhance your user experience by delivering content specific to your interests; perform searches and analytics; and assist with security administrative functions.
Temporary cookies will be stored on your computer or device only during a particular browsing session. In contrast, permanent cookies survive after your browser is closed and may remain for between 24 hours and three years.
You can change your settings to notify you when a cookie is being set or updated, or to block cookies altogether. Please consult the “Help” section of your browser for more information (e.g., Internet Explorer; Microsoft Edge; Google Chrome; Mozilla Firefox; or Apple Safari). Cookies do not, under any circumstances, read the data from your computer, and you can delete them at any time.
When We Disclose Your Information
We may disclose and/or share your information to or with third parties under the following circumstances:
- Consent. We may disclose your information to third parties with your consent.
- Service Providers. We may provide access to or share your information with select third parties that perform services on our behalf. These providers use the information for the purpose it was shared.
- With Third Party Providers of Services. We may share your information with third parties that provide services to FBT.
- With Like-Minded Organizations/Collaborators. We may share your information with organizations that are members of the Families Belong Together coalition and other like-minded organizations, as well as with those with whom we may collaborate.
- to comply with legal process;
- to enforce this Policy, including investigation of potential violations thereof;
- to respond to your requests for customer service; and/or
- to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of FBT, its agents and affiliates, its users, and the public. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection, and spam/malware prevention, and similar purposes.
- Aggregated Data. We may share aggregated and de-identified information.
- Organizational Transfers. As we continue to develop our organization, we may acquire, merge or partner with other organizations. In such transactions (including in contemplation of such transactions, e.g., due diligence) user information may be among the transferred assets. If any of FBT’s assets are sold or transferred to a third party, information collected through the Website would likely be one of the transferred business assets.
- Text Messaging Exception. Text messaging opt-in data and consent information in FBT’s possession will not be shared with any third parties.
How We Use Your Information
We may use the information we collect for the purposes for which you provided it, as well as:
- To provide you access to the Website by recognizing and authenticating you on the Website.
- To maintain and improve the Website, including:
- To provide the features and services available through the Website;
- To improve the content and features of the Website or to develop new services;
- To administer and troubleshoot the Website.
- To contact you, including:
- To contact you with information that we believe may be of interest to you;
- To process and respond to your inquiries or to request your feedback.
- For internal research and reporting.
- To comply with laws and regulations for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others.
By providing your wireless number, you agree to receive periodic messages and calls from NDWA and its campaigns, including Families Belong Together and Caring Across Generations, by recorded and/or autodialed calls and autodialed text messages. Carrier data and message rates may apply. You may opt out at any time by texting STOP to 33843. See the Mobile Terms and Conditions for more information.
You also agree to receive periodic calls from allied organizations, including Care in Action and NDWA Labs LLC, concerning news, action opportunities, and other updates, including by recorded and/or autodialed calls. Carrier data rates may apply. You may opt out at any time by texting STOP to 33843.
By providing your email address, you agree to receive periodic emails from NDWA and its campaigns, including Families Belong Together and Caring Across Generations, as well as allied organizations, including Care in Action and NDWA Labs LLC, concerning news, action opportunities, and other updates. You may unsubscribe at any time.
We may also aggregate or de-identify information we collect from you so that it is no longer linked to you or your computer or device. We may, in our sole discretion, use such aggregated and de-identified information for any purpose and may share such information with third parties.
How We Protect Your Information
We have implemented administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and/or alteration of your information. These safeguards vary based on the sensitivity of the information that we collect and store. However, we cannot and do not guarantee that these measures will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use, or disclose your information because, despite our efforts, no Internet and/or other electronic transmissions can be completely secure.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data
The laws in some jurisdictions require that website operators tell you about the legal grounds they rely on to use or disclose your information. To the extent those laws apply, our legal grounds for processing your information are as follows:
- Where use of your information is necessary to perform our obligations to you;
- Where use of your information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others (for example, to provide security for our Website; to provide the services we provide through our Website; to defend our legal rights; to analyze the use of our Website; to improve our services);
- Where we have a reason to process the information in accordance with applicable law;
- Where we have your consent to engage in a particular type of processing activity.
We may use third-party web analytics services (such as those of Google Analytics) in connection with our Services to collect and analyze the information discussed above, and to engage in auditing, research or reporting. The information (including your IP address) collected by various analytics technologies described in the “Information that Is Passively or Automatically Collected” section will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Website, including by noting the third party website from which you arrive, analyzing usage trends, assisting with fraud prevention, and providing certain features to you. Information about how Google uses information collected from sites that use its services is located here. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on by clicking here.
If you receive an email from us, we may use certain analytics tools, such as clear GIFs, to capture data such as when you open our message or click on any links or banners our email contains. This data allows us to assess the effectiveness of our communications and marketing campaigns to help us grow.
Your Rights and Your Choices
Individuals in the European Economic Area and other jurisdictions have certain legal rights with respect to their information. They can request that we (i) provide access to and/or a copy of certain information that FBT holds about them, (ii) update information that is incorrect, (iii) delete certain information that we hold about them, (iv) restrict the way we process and disclose certain information, and (v) revoke consent for the processing of their information. To exercise these rights, please email us at [email protected] with the nature of your request. We will consider all requests and will provide a response within the time period set by applicable law.
Our computer systems are based in the United States, and your information will be processed in the United States, which may not offer the same level of protection as the privacy laws of your jurisdiction.
The Website is not intended for children under the age of 16. If we become aware that we have collected information from children under the age of 16, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as practicable.
Third-Party Links and Websites
The Website contains links to third party websites. Please be aware that we are not responsible
Your California Privacy Rights
California law permits visitors who are California residents to request certain information once per year regarding our disclosure of “personal information” (as that term is defined under applicable California law) to third parties for such third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
Notice Concerning Do-Not-Track Signals
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. We do not recognize or respond to browser-initiated DNT signals, as the Internet industry is currently still working toward defining exactly what DNT means, what it means to comply with DNT, and a common approach to responding to DNT. You can learn more about Do Not Track here.
Being Removed from Our Lists
If you wish to stop receiving marketing emails, please email [email protected] or click the unsubscribe link in the footer of an email from us. When you unsubscribe from marketing communications we will retain some basic data, including your email and phone number (if provided), so we know not to contact you. If you want your data completely erased, please indicate so by e-mailing [email protected]. Erasing your data may result in unsolicited communications in the future because you will no longer be in our system.
Last Updated: January 27, 2022